Is Global Game Jam a competition?
Global Game Jam is not a competition; it’s a worldwide creative collaboration.
How are game jams judged?
You can judge each of these on three metrics: innovation, quality, and completeness. You might also consider a fourth, size, but in the context of a game jam I don’t think there’s much point.
How long is Global Game Jam?
Event organization At each site, the Global Game Jam runs continuously for 48 hours in each time zone, beginning at 5:00 PM on the start date, and ending at 5:00 PM two days later.
How do I participate in Global Game Jam?
Yes, everyone taking part in Global Game Jam must register on the website. Many sites will have a local site registration requirement, and so make sure you check to see if you need to sign up there too. You will also need your global registration to join your site online and upload your game.
How long does a game jam last?
24 to 72 hours
A game jam is an event where participants try to make a video game from scratch. Depending on the format, participants might work independently, or in teams. The event duration usually ranges from 24 to 72 hours.
Why is it called game jam?
“Jam” is a reference to musicial jam sessions. Similarly, the goal with a “game jam” is to come together and make a videogame, or a non-digital (analog) game like a board game or card game.
How do you judge a game?
How We Judge a Good Game—Part 1
- Original, Interesting Characters, 15% of score.
- Original, Interesting Setting and Plot, 15% of score.
- Conflicting Goals with Satisfying Endings, 15% of score.
- Balanced, Intentional, Interesting Choices/Options, 15% of score.
- Inclusivity, 10% of score.
- Prose Styling, 10% of score.
Why are game jams called jams?
History. The term game jam is a composition of the words game and jam session. A jam session describes the musical act of producing music with little to no prior preparation in an effort to develop new material or simply to practice.
What is the point of a game jam?
While commercial video games can take years to create, game jams challenge you to improve your skills, meet new people and make something weird and wonderful. There is (usually) no judging, and it is fully expected that a lot of the games will be completely unplayable, but that’s exactly the point.
What is the most popular game jam?
Here is a list of the most well-known game jams in the world:
- Global Game Jam: the themes are usually very interesting!
- Ludum Dare: hardcore but thrilling!
- Weekly Game Jam: a great place to start out.
- Game Maker’s Tool Kit: they had over 750 games submitted last time.
- Brackeys’ game jam: the community is amazing.