How can type 1 diabetes be controlled during pregnancy?
Steps women can take before and during pregnancy to help prevent problems:
- Plan for Pregnancy. Before getting pregnant, see your doctor.
- See Your Doctor Early and Often.
- Eat Healthy Foods.
- Exercise Regularly.
- Take Pills and Insulin as Directed.
- Control and Treat Low Blood Sugar Quickly.
- Monitor Blood Sugar Often.
What should a pregnant Type 1 diabetic eat?
Pregnant women need 400-800 micrograms of folic acid every day. You can get it from supplements or foods like spinach, nuts, and beans, as well as fortified foods like breads and cereal. Ask your doctor if there are other vitamins you should take. Calcium, from foods like dairy products and broccoli.
What are the main nutritional recommendations for type 1 diabetes?
Most people with diabetes can control their blood sugar by limiting carbohydrate servings to 2-4 per meal and 1-2 per snack. A delicate balance of carbohydrate intake, insulin, and physical activity is necessary for the best blood sugar (glucose) levels. Eating carbohydrates increases your blood sugar (glucose) level.
Can type 1 diabetics give birth naturally?
You can have a healthy pregnancy with type 1 diabetes, although managing your diabetes might be harder. It’s important to have good blood sugar control before and during pregnancy.
What should a pregnant diabetic not eat?
What foods should you avoid?
- fast food.
- alcoholic beverages.
- baked goods, such as muffins, donuts, or cakes.
- fried food.
- sugary drinks, such as soda, juice, and sweetened beverages.
- very starchy foods, such as white pasta and white rice.
- sweetened cereals, sugary granola bars, and sweetened oatmeals.
What foods should type 1 diabetics avoid?
Foods to avoid or limit include:
- added sugars.
- refined grains, such as white bread, pasta, and rice.
- processed foods.
- sugary breakfast cereals.
- sweet treats, such as cakes, biscuits, pastries, and candies.
- soda, diet soda, and other sugary drinks.
- juice drinks.
- fried foods and food high in saturated and trans fats.
What is the best fruit for type 1 diabetes?
Healthiest Fruits for People With Diabetes
- Blackberries. One cup of raw berries has 62 calories, 14 grams of carbohydrates, and 7.6 grams of fiber.
- Strawberries. One cup of whole strawberries has 46 calories, 11 grams of carbohydrates, and 3 grams of fiber.
What are the food items to reduce sugar?
Here are seven foods that Powers says can help keep your blood sugar in check and make you happy and healthy to boot.
- Raw, Cooked, or Roasted Vegetables. These add color, flavor, and texture to a meal.
- Flavorful, Low-calorie Drinks.
- Melon or Berries.
- Whole-grain, Higher-fiber Foods.
- A Little Fat.