How can I strengthen my thumb?
Strengthening the muscles of your thumbs can help you grab and lift heavy things like cans and bottles.
- Put your hand flat on a table.
- Gently move your thumb away from your fingers as far as you can.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and release.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times with both hands.
How do you stretch a tendon in your thumb?
Lift your thumb away from your palm so it’s nearly perpendicular to the forefinger side of your hand. You’ll feel a stretch at the back of your thumb and across your palm. Keep your thumb extended for about 6 seconds and release. Repeat 8 to 12 times.
Should you exercise arthritic thumb?
Gently exercising your fingers and thumbs with a hand workout can improve their range of motion and decrease arthritis symptoms. It’s one of the best ways to maintain function and independence.
How do you massage a thumb muscle?
Press your thumb in a circular motion with moderate pressure all around the back of your hand and then your palm. Continue pressure with your thumb along both sides of each finger. Use your thumb to massage the area between your thumb and forefinger.
How long does thumb tendonitis take to heal?
Tenosynovitis can be treated effectively with rest and splinting for 6 weeks.
How do you massage a sore thumb?
Using the thumb and index finger from your opposite hand, apply firm pressure for 30-seconds to the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger. This will stimulate the LI 4 (Large intestine 4) acupressure point known for easing aches and pains.
What are the symptoms of tendonitis in the thumb?
Pain near the base of your thumb. Swelling near the base of your thumb. Difficulty moving your thumb and wrist when you’re doing something that involves grasping or pinching. A “sticking” or “stop-and-go” sensation in your thumb when moving it.
What is the fastest way to heal a torn ligament in the thumb?
Mild thumb sprains will usually improve with home treatment that includes the RICE protocol:
- Rest. Try not use your hand for at least 48 hours.
- Ice. Apply ice immediately after the injury to keep the swelling down.
- Compression. Wear an elastic compression bandage to reduce swelling.
How do I get rid of arthritis in my thumb?
- Ice the joint for 5 to 15 minutes several times a day.
- Take an anti-inflammatory medication, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, to help reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Wear a supportive splint to limit the movement of your thumb, and allow the joint to rest and heal.