Are name changes public record in New York?

Name change applications are public records. This means they can be found and viewed by anyone. If you have safety concerns, you can ask the court to “seal” the records.

Can you look up if someone has changed their name?

People change their names for many reasons – adoption, marriage and divorce being the most common. There are many different search tools available that can help you locate a person and determine if they have changed their name. Search engines, city directories and social networking sites are helpful tools.

How do you prove you changed your name?

There are only 2 ways to prove your name has been changed from the way your name is shown on your birth certificate: By Court Order – In California, you can request a Decree Changing Name, which is the gold standard of court orders. This court order is honored for ID throughout the U.S. and around the world.

How do I get a certified copy of my name change in New York?

You may call the clerk at 646-386-5609 or go to their office in person to check on it if you don’t hear from them. If you are able to waive the fees, you might be able to also get free certified copies of your name change, but there’s no guarantee. If you can afford this fee, go to the cashier on the 2nd floor to pay.

How long does a legal name change take in NYS?

Name change actions can take anywhere from a day, to six (6) months (sometimes even longer). The time it takes for such action to be ordered/decreed varies not only from county to county, but sometimes from courthouse to courthouse as well.

Can you still use your old name?

Friends can have trouble adjusting to the new name if they have known you under one name for a long time! Since most of these situations are purely social, there are no legal ramifications. You may also revert to using your maiden name at any time if you just prefer it!

How much does it cost to legally change your name in New York?

It costs $65.00 to change a name and/or sex designation in Civil Court. You can use the Civil Court’s free and easy DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Forms to make an Adult Name/Sex Designation Change Petition or a Minor Name/Sex Designation Change Petition.

Categories: Most popular