What do you give a child with a stomach virus?
Your doctor may recommend that you give your child bland foods for the first 24 hours. Bland foods include bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, saltine crackers and unsweetened cereals. If your child does well with these foods, you can add other foods over the next 48 hours.
How do I know if my child has a stomach bug?
The most common signs of gastroenteritis are vomiting and diarrhea. Many children also have a fever. When kids have diarrhea or vomiting, they lose lots of fluid in their poop or vomit. This can lead to dehydration (not having enough water in the body).
How long does a child’s stomach virus last?
How long does the stomach flu last in kids? A stomach flu usually lasts between one and three days. Vomiting typically lasts for less than 24 hours. However, if your child’s symptoms continue for more than 5 days, you should call your pediatrician.
Can a child have a stomach virus without fever?
Stomach Flu But you can also get it from bacteria like E. coli or salmonella. Although norovirus can sometimes cause a low-grade fever, you can also have it with no fever at all.
When should I take my child to the hospital for stomach flu?
If your child develops these signs of dehydration, go to the emergency room immediately.
- High fever.
- Little or no urination.
- Weakness and lethargy.
- A feeling of lightheadedness – or dizziness.
- Dry mouth and other mucus membranes.
- Skin that “tents up” when it’s pinched.
When should I take my child to the doctor for stomach flu?
If your child experiences any of the following, be sure to call his or her physician:
- Severe vomiting.
- Severe diarrhea (more than eight stools per day)
- Dehydration, as shown by weakness, dry lips or infrequent urination.
- Blood in the stool or vomit.
- Abdominal pain in one spot.
- Yellowing of the skin/eyes.
How can I settle my child’s upset stomach?
Home treatment for tummy aches
- Have your child lie down and rest.
- Place a warm compress or heating pad on their stomach.
- Gently massage your child’s belly, which can help with gas and indigestion.
- Give small sips of water.
- Check with your doctor before giving any over-the-counter medication.
Can kids take Pepto-Bismol?
Regular Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate, containing bismuth subsalicylate, are approved for kids 12 and older. Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate contain aspirin-like ingredients and should not be used in children with chicken pox or flu-like symptoms because of the risk of Reye’s syndrome, a rare but serious illness.